Does your snow plow policy need a Fall tune-up?
A snow plow policy can help the city plan for the use of its resources, establishes priorities for work, and provides an explanation as to how and when snowplowing will be completed. It can also be used to inform the public about parking rules, damaged mail boxes, and specific routes. Lastly, it can support a defense of statutory discretionary immunity, allowing LMCIT to defend the city in the event of a liability claim associated with this activity.
Snowplowing and Ice Control Policy Components:
2. When Will the City Start Snow or Ice Control Operations?
3. How Snow will be plowed
4. Snow Removal
5. Priorities and Schedule of Streets to be plowed
6. Work Schedule for Snowplow Operators
7. Traffic Regulations
8. Weather Conditions
9. Use of Sand, Salt, and Other Chemicals
12. Complaint Procedure
13. Deviation from Policy
14. Review and Modification of Policy
(LMCIT Model Snow Plow Policy) http://www.lmc.org/media/document/1/modelsnowplowingpolicy.pdf?inline=true
By Joe Ingebrand