How you handle this changeover is either exposing workers to some serious material handing exposures and awkward body postures, or it can be a non-event.
Some things I would like you to consider are as follows:
- Are storage areas clear of other equipment and items, or does it take days of clearing paths through a bunch of “stuff” to get to the equipment?
- Are you manhandling the equipment manually, or moving it mechanically?
- Do you have to manually push/pull or lift/lower this equipment at all, or can you do it totally hands-free?
- Do you have a formal plan to make sure the needed equipment is operating correctly prior to the start of the changeover?
- Have you identified your greatest exposure(s) for completing all these tasks, and do you have a plan in place to reduce this exposure with a planned equipment purchase (overhead hoist, forks for the loader, etc.)?
What’s your city’s method? Let us know.
by Andy Miller